Start Writing

Start Writing
Stop Writer's Block

Monday, May 12, 2008

How To Write Attention Grabbing Fiction

Have a question? Agree, disagree, with me?
Leave me your opinion.

There exists more than one factor to writing interesting
fiction. Fiction leans toward the imaginary, invented,
made-up, and inspired. Of course, writers want to
entertain, and invoke the reader's emotions. Hopefully,
the reader becomes involved, and puts the story
down after the last page has been read.

A key to writing fiction well, in my opinion, is plenty
of suspense.

Suspense is indecision, doubt, knowing something
is going to happen, awaiting, and anxiety.

It doesn't matter if you're writing a mystery,
romance, or science fiction. Suspense pulls the
reader in the story. Begin suspense with
paragraph one.

Start the story in the middle of a crisis, problem.
This is where the reader's attention is grabbed.
He/she has something to be concerned about,
wants to know how a character(s) will resolve the
issue. Perhaps, the reader identifies with a
character, knows someone in a similar situation,
is cheering for the protagonist, and/or is gripped
by the plot.

Plot is the problem in the story, and how it unfolds.

The pages of a story should have something new,
exciting, or, even, a threat of an approaching doom.

"Do you ever pause?" Someone asked.

Yes, there are brief pauses. The idea is to keep
the reader buried in suspense.

Take a look at my example.

I opened the front door, heard my cousin
arguing.

"Pete!" I shouted. "What's goin' on?"

"Call..." He fell on the cement steps before
finishing.

The strange man started toward me...

************************************************

How would you have started the first
sentence? Could it be laced with more
suspense? Would you continue to read
the story?

In short fiction, there's a concern for space,
word count. Publishers adhere to a
specific number of words, and so should
you.

One problem is enough for short fiction.
In longer fiction, more than one issue is
addressed.

Make every word earn its place. Every,
suspenseful, word should move the story
forward, not just take up space. Words
holding up valuable space must be
deleted.

It's been my practice to keep cut lines,
paragraphs. They can be re-worked,
placed somewhere else, spark a new
idea, and a tool against writer's block.

The more you write, the easier it will be
to include that major factor, suspense.

Take a look at the following.

"'Member our dare?" Barb asked.

"Don't think it's a good idea." Tish
dropped her hand.

"Ya shoulda thought 'bout that before
sayin' crap 'bout bein' as tough as me."

"Was a joke."

"Be there, or..."

"You'll harass me?" Tish interrupted Barb.

"Tell everyone ya're a punk.

"I'll be there."
****************************************************

Do you get the feeling the dare isn't something
positive, upbeat? Could be dangerous? Are
you curious about it? Are you pulled in the story?

Fiction is written well when its smeared with
suspense, on practically every page. A grammatically
correct story is boring without suspense. Suspense
is the, must include, factor a story can't do without.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting information. My way of judging whether it will grab my attention or not (with a new author) is 1) read the first few paragraphs; 2) open randomly to the middle of the book do the same.

If I feel I know what's going to happen already I don't bother LOL!

Some writers really are not that good; the ones that are... don't usually write fast enough to suit my taste LOL!

Thanks!

Critique and Write said...

Diane, I'm glad you found the information on my blog interesting.

Syed Ibtisam Ali said...

Great post. Interesting thoughts. I agree with most of it. In my case, I beleive, it is easy to create a story full of suspense, however what I need the most, being a non-native English speaker, is a way to not only master the language but to use it in a way that it truly reflects the suspense my plot has.
So wish me luck :)

Blog Archive

The Writer

The Writer
Word Master-Pieces

Labels