Start Writing

Start Writing
Stop Writer's Block

Monday, January 4, 2010

Setting

Have a question? Agree, disagree,
with me? Leave me your opinion.

The setting is established in
paragraph one. A setting shows
the mood of your story, tells
where it takes place, and locks
in a time period.

Don't just state where your
story takes place, but bring the
setting to life with characters,
dialogue. Use it as a factor of
the story.

If the setting, for example, is a
haunted house, story people will
talk, gossip, about weird happenings
surrounding it. They venture into
the house, noises ring-out during
the nights. The house is not
just the setting, but a component.

Allow characters to expose the setting.
The setting helps move your plot along.

A character makes a date to meet
another person at the house. The
deciding if the meeting should take
place there, changing a mind surfaces,
getting to the haunted house, and
what happens in the house moves
the plot forward.

It's important to develop a setting
that makes your story memorable, and
inspire people to read more of your
work.

Don't be afraid to change your setting
if it isn't working well with your story
people.

In my novel, Grave Street House, scenes,
incidents, happen in and around the
House. Characters talk about the
House at home, on the streets.

Take a look at how I began Grave
Street House.

My goal was to expose my setting,
give enough information of what's
happening, and hook the reader.

When I walked onto my street heads bobbed
and turned, some people cried. They knew
the horror awaiting him. A few drifted to
their places of security. The homeless
intruder wobbled then stumbled on his
way into the House. They reacted with
clear warnings to stay out. Only, he ignored
them. He slowed down, whirled his head toward
me with fear in his eyes.

I motioned with my hand for him to come
back. I rushed closer to the House, forced my
way through the mob of people.

Perspiration beads formed on my forehead. I
strained to take in enough oxygen. I stopped
moving; fear had me in its grip. He continued
to sway up the worn-out steps, made a mockery
of the condemned, haunted, Grave Street House.

What do you think of my opening?

The setting is a very important part of your
story. Re-think, re-write, the setting until
it is an exact fit.

No comments:

Blog Archive

The Writer

The Writer
Word Master-Pieces

Labels