Start Writing

Start Writing
Stop Writer's Block

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Places Characters Come From

Have a question? Agree, disagree,
with me? Leave me your opinion.

People you know, memory and strangers
are excellent places fictional characters
come from. Let's take a closer look.

People You Know
•Many writers take traits, qualities, from friends or family.
•You know their strengths and weaknesses.
•The key is to pluck away enough information for a starting point.

A character in my mystery has an arthritic knee, limps and have been seen rubbing it. My mother suffered with the condition, same place.

A writer peeling away exact traits, qualities, stands a chance of hurting feelings or a law-suit. Therefore, characters should be the "stuff'" of a writer's creative flow.

Memory
•It holds many possible writing ideas.
•Memories of what happened to you provide an endless source for creating characters.

Begin by selecting an incident, time, from memory.

An incident from your first job is worth exploring. Or, a happy moment at a specific job lends itself to creating characters.

Strangers
•The stranger that gave you an ice-cold stare can twist down paths.
•The character could be a stalker.
•A character is paid to scare someone? Who?
•A character missed a "meet-up" date.

Finally, fictional characters come from various places, and sprinkling in people you know, memory or strangers you've seen can create eye-catching fiction.

Source: http://voices.yahoo.com/places-characters-come-from-11065912.html

3 comments:

Critique and Write said...

Don't be afraid to tap into any, all, of your experiences.

Jeff Hargett said...

Interesting question and worth pondering. I don't believe I've ever used anyone from my own experiences as a basis for characters. I can't even say that I've consciously based them on any I've read or seen. Mine just appear (often unexpectedly) while I write. But if an acquaintance or experience inspires you then I think you should run with it. No need to make the connections obvious though.

Critique and Write said...

Jeff, I agree never make connections obvious when family or friends are involved.

It's interesting how your characters come to you.

Blog Archive

The Writer

The Writer
Word Master-Pieces

Labels