Start Writing

Start Writing
Stop Writer's Block

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Comfortable Writer

Have a question? Agree, disagree,
with me? Leave me your opinion.

Writer

Comfortable writing and I have
been on a first-name-feeling
since my early teen years. It
was comfortable, easy for me
to write paragraphs and create
word pictures.

My writing wasn't always
grammatically correct, but
I enjoyed the act of writing.
If a teacher gave an assignment
relating to writing, I
comfortably had it ready before
the due date.

I hadn't been published at the
time or planned on it.

The journey through school
continued. In high school, a
teacher praised an assignement.
She remarked on my word creativity.

"Thank you." I responded.

Years crawled by before I
appreciated my writing ability.
Still, the idea of writing as
a career didn't dawn. My mind
focused on academics.

Off to college, I went. I looked
forward to those years ending
and they did.

The degree and I found a job,
wanted to retire from it. Life
had other plans for me. I was
terminated from the job.

An array of emotions engulfed me.

I tired of the tears, decided to
find employment. The jobs ranged
from stuffing envelopes to
telemarketing. For one reason or
the other, the jobs and I departed.

My mind wondered to what happened
the months prior to being fired
from the job I wanted to retire
from.

I turned to writing a detailed
account through teary eyes. The
idea of writing a book came to
mind.

Doubts stirred. Can I write it?
Write well enough? Would I be
taken as a serious writer? Was
I comfortable enough with writing?
Publisher? I curbed those
writing-crushers to a corner of
my mind.

I found someone to edit it, but
her rates were too expensive.

"I'm cheap compared to others,"
she said.

"No funds." I smiled. "My elderly
mother shares her food with me."

"Good luck."

I trashed paragraphs, improved the
plot and peppered it with more
suspense. The editing process
went on for years.

I crossed paths with an agent,
sent him the manuscript. He
returned it with a note: 'Work
on it.'

I did. A telephone call or two
with him convinced me that he
didn't hold much hope for
publishing my manuscript.

It was up to me, the comfortable
writer.

I read books, honed my writing
skills. My goal was to make my
manuscript acceptable.

The writing, re-writing, of my
manuscript `lasted for years.

Finally, the publication of my
manuscript happened. Listen to
my interview.

Grave Street House Interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO1oed6AlM4&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Source: http://hubpages.com/hub/Comfortable-Writer
Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo

Marcella Glenn is a freelance writer who has written news reports, worked in an office, reviewed movies, published a newsletter and had her novel, "Grave Street House," published. She, too, is a Writing Consultant as well as a Personal Coach.


She has tried to go down some of life's other paths. A few paths were a mail-order business, the publishing of a pen-pal newsletter and selling plastic-ware. Only, she was back writing before realizing what she was doing.


She'd critique titles, paragraphs, news reports, that no one submitted to her. She'd stop herself, eventually. Marcella Glenn seemed to be enjoying the act of writing. This is how she knew writing was more than a hobby.


Let it be a lesson in your life too. Is writing calling your name? Or, acting? Teaching? Are you interested in engineering? Have the courage to go for your dreams. Simply, believe in yourself.


Meet Marcella Glenn on Twitter: http://twitter.com/marcellaglenn.



Grave Street House Interview
Authors Show Radio Announces Interview Lineup For Week Of February 16, 2009
#fullpost{display:inline;}
Internet Radio features five new authors each week
February 16, 2009
Every week, The Authors Show, radio version features interviews with up and coming authors from around the world. This week The Authors Show radio features Marcella Glenn, author of  'Grave Street House'.

The Writer

The Writer
Word Master-Pieces

Labels