Start Writing

Start Writing
Stop Writer's Block

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Comfortable Writer

Have a question? Agree, disagree,
with me? Leave me your opinion.

Writer

Comfortable writing and I have
been on a first-name-feeling
since my early teen years. It
was comfortable, easy for me
to write paragraphs and create
word pictures.

My writing wasn't always
grammatically correct, but
I enjoyed the act of writing.
If a teacher gave an assignment
relating to writing, I
comfortably had it ready before
the due date.

I hadn't been published at the
time or planned on it.

The journey through school
continued. In high school, a
teacher praised an assignement.
She remarked on my word creativity.

"Thank you." I responded.

Years crawled by before I
appreciated my writing ability.
Still, the idea of writing as
a career didn't dawn. My mind
focused on academics.

Off to college, I went. I looked
forward to those years ending
and they did.

The degree and I found a job,
wanted to retire from it. Life
had other plans for me. I was
terminated from the job.

An array of emotions engulfed me.

I tired of the tears, decided to
find employment. The jobs ranged
from stuffing envelopes to
telemarketing. For one reason or
the other, the jobs and I departed.

My mind wondered to what happened
the months prior to being fired
from the job I wanted to retire
from.

I turned to writing a detailed
account through teary eyes. The
idea of writing a book came to
mind.

Doubts stirred. Can I write it?
Write well enough? Would I be
taken as a serious writer? Was
I comfortable enough with writing?
Publisher? I curbed those
writing-crushers to a corner of
my mind.

I found someone to edit it, but
her rates were too expensive.

"I'm cheap compared to others,"
she said.

"No funds." I smiled. "My elderly
mother shares her food with me."

"Good luck."

I trashed paragraphs, improved the
plot and peppered it with more
suspense. The editing process
went on for years.

I crossed paths with an agent,
sent him the manuscript. He
returned it with a note: 'Work
on it.'

I did. A telephone call or two
with him convinced me that he
didn't hold much hope for
publishing my manuscript.

It was up to me, the comfortable
writer.

I read books, honed my writing
skills. My goal was to make my
manuscript acceptable.

The writing, re-writing, of my
manuscript `lasted for years.

Finally, the publication of my
manuscript happened. Listen to
my interview.

Grave Street House Interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO1oed6AlM4&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Source: http://hubpages.com/hub/Comfortable-Writer

1 comment:

Critique and Write said...

Life will take you down strange and wonderful paths, but you have determine which one(s) to follow.

Blog Archive

The Writer

The Writer
Word Master-Pieces

Labels